One thing that really helps an artist keep going is seeing how far they’ve come. In that spirit, I revisted some art deco street lights I made a while back for the Aurora engine, and remade them for use in Unity.
I rebuilt the models with a higher poly-count. The silhouettes of the early versions were fairly jagged, and this has been a great improvement. I also redid the textures for PBR.
My favorite part about these models is probably the filament, which is just an eight sided cylinder, doubled in place so that there are both outward and inward pointing face normals. The normal and opacity maps create the illusion of a wire coiled around this cylinder, all for a quite modest poly count.
Here is a 3D rendering of the wine label I designed for the family’s first vintage. The background of the label was inspired by a concept from friend and artist Mike Puncekar, and is a stylized depiction of a vineyard sunset. Future labels will be variations on this theme, with a different stylized background, and potentially a different shape to the border around the center part of the label.
I tried to be as realistic as possible with this one, though I drew inspiration from a couple different cannons, and I had to make some sacrifices in the name of poly count.
I am not entirely satisfied with the poly count on this one. Most of it comes from the cannon itself and the eye hooks and rings attached to the carriage.
I made this relatively simple stone-hewn throne as an excuse to learn the basics of Quixel Suite. I cannot speak highly enough of Quixel.
(4k textures available)