One thing that really helps an artist keep going is seeing how far they’ve come. In that spirit, I revisted some art deco street lights I made a while back for the Aurora engine, and remade them for use in Unity.
I rebuilt the models with a higher poly-count. The silhouettes of the early versions were fairly jagged, and this has been a great improvement. I also redid the textures for PBR.
My favorite part about these models is probably the filament, which is just an eight sided cylinder, doubled in place so that there are both outward and inward pointing face normals. The normal and opacity maps create the illusion of a wire coiled around this cylinder, all for a quite modest poly count.
Here is a 3D rendering of the wine label I designed for the family’s first vintage. The background of the label was inspired by a concept from friend and artist Mike Puncekar, and is a stylized depiction of a vineyard sunset. Future labels will be variations on this theme, with a different stylized background, and potentially a different shape to the border around the center part of the label.
I recently created a throwing hammer for a Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world, Engines of Ascension. This unfortunately took me well away from the wonderful world of PBR, as NWN2 only supports diffuse, normal, and greyscale specular maps, but it did afford me the opportunity to use a normal map to beef up an extremely low poly model, though not necessarily by the standards of 2006.
This project has also opened my eyes to where I need to focus on developing my skills. There is some waviness to the normal map which I need to work on in the future, which resulted from lack of supporting edges on the low poly model during the normal bake. There are also some problems on the hemispherical hammerheads, particularly on the corners of the hexagonal back.
As promised, I’ve come up with another quick tutorial. It turned out a little longer than I had anticipated, but in all fairness, it’s basically three videos wrapped into one. I’ve been using Lightworks to do the editing, but while it’s been relatively fun, I’m starting to feel like I need something with finer control.
Over the last week or so I have been making about a building a day in the beginnings of a project intended to give level designers the assets needed to make a 19th century city. I have drawn inspiration from classic Belgian and Dutch architecture, and intend to create steampunk variants of these buildings at some point in the future.
At present I have configured the models for Neverwinter Nights 2, complete with tint maps, collision boxes and walkmesh data.